After World War II, an operative was created for the purpose of gathering, processing, and analyzing information. The Central Intelligence Agency was born due to failures at home and abroad — Pearl Harbour was one such instance — where clues of unforeseen aggression and foreign espionage could have been traced and countered early but never happened mainly due to the fact that no office in particular was tasked to gather and disseminate such data. Yet, even after the creation of the CIA, incidents as 9/11 and the Boston Marathon proved that even the greatest intelligence gathering network in existence today had its limits to what it could and can assess and defend against. No one would argue that no person or agency can possibly possess enough intelligence on any particular subject, to assess, correlate, evaluate, and disseminate it successfully each time out. Notwithstanding the boundaries of human wisdom, something much more ominous overshadows our lives that demands perfect insight and knowledge more precise and trustworthy than any think tank or organization can muster. It is for this reason that a man by the name of Nicodemus sought a meeting with Jesus. He needed an answer to a dilemma that threatened the security of his life and the lives of his nation.
However, we speak wisdom among those who are mature, yet not the wisdom of this age, nor of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory, which none of the rulers of this age knew; for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory (1 Co.2:6).
Jesus is God’s Wisdom. Jesus embodies all the attributes of God in Himself. Jesus was the “know how” for everything. The dilemma facing Nicodemus and the nation was how wrongly they understood the way to heaven. Belief in law-keeping and Jewish lineage tracing back to Abraham was a common fallacy among the Jewish people. Jesus pointed out that salvation is a sovereign work of the Holy Spirit, freely offered and applied, and can only be appropriated by faith in Christ as a work of grace and not something man can do for himself through working his way to God (John 3:1-21). Wisdom is more than knowledge: it means that God was not only able to formulate a plan of salvation but also carry it out in the best and most effective manner. God did exactly that from eternity past: He planned salvation in heaven with His Son and Holy Spirit, all three members of the Godhead, to redeem a people to Himself (Heb. 10:20 cf 2 Peter 2:9). His salvation is grounded in His love and offered to whoever will receive it (John 3:16). Nicodemus found this truth to be incomprehensible at the time he met Jesus but later it is understood that he came to believe it.
The solution to our sin problem is not necessarily appreciated by everyone. Jesus pointed out that though God loved humanity, the same is not reciprocal (3:16 cf 19, 20). Rather than turn to Christ for salvation, the world deliberately remains in their sinful ways. They hate Christ because the gospel’s claim on their lives exposes their sins (v. 20). What has plagued the world since the fall of man continues to pollute our land with things such as the following:
- Assisted Suicide and Euthanasia: legislated which to date has led to the killing of more than 2,000 Canadians. In Europe, many are being killed without consent. You can be sure that will come here as well.
- Abortion: An annual death toll in excess of 100,000 babies, What is more the Prime Minister’s office pledges $650 million in new taxpayer money for abortions around the world. The killing fields have widened and all under a pretense of protecting women.
- Gender Confusion: A crying Justin Trudeau seeks to apologize for supposed wrongdoings from the past over gender. Again the blue tide passes legislation designed to limit freedom of speech on the topic and to promote, educate, and confuse the norm over genders of male and female and accept a perverse notion about our identity before God.
- Secularism and Radical Islam: PM opens the door to terrorists and plays down the threat of Islam by passing M-103 to further limit free speech to criticize Islam, and pays little attention to the worldwide slaughter of Jews and Christians that do not convert to Islam. Even Muslims themselves are persecuted who do not conform to Shariah Law.
- Terrorists such as Omar Khadr are rewarded with 10.5 million though he committed acts of treason while the government seeks to force organizations and businesses that value life for the unborn to capitulate and accept their view of abortion and risk losing financial support toward employment grants if compliance is not met.
- Drugging our youth: Passing bill C-45 gives no recognition of the fact that youth will be further de-sensitized to accepting harder and more addicting drugs.
Wisdom from Parliament Hill
Against a working democracy, current legislators continue to impose laws in an attempt to dismantle Christian values that have served our nation well for centuries. While godly wisdom is the ability to differentiate good from evil, the current record of our nation’s leaders sadly demonstrate an inability to see the difference. “To withstand godly values” has come to mean that secularists simply censor opposing opinions through law reforms in an attempt to detach Canadians from moral norms. In so doing secularists make this their life stance, thinking they can be free from all forms of beliefs and religions. Yet, the deconstruction of Christianity in our land only means that the void is being filled with radical Islam: if current world events mean anything, it is now happening in Europe, Great Britan and Spain. In Britain where Sharia law has taken hold in certain sectors. In UK there are 130 Sharia law courts which though technically lie within the UK’s Tribunal Court system, these Sharia courts have been issuing rulings that contradict UK’s common law, rulings that differ radically from British Common Law especially in the treatment (mistreatment) that are afforded women and children. In 2011, UK’s Muslims began demanding that Sharia law replace British common law and become the only law in towns with large Muslim populations.
The talking point today should be about holding on to Biblical Christianity, real values that cut through all the moral posturing and double talk we hear so often today, the porous notions of people that seek to free themselves from godly standards only serves to trivialize evil and contribute to the growing immoral decay around us. Man’s wisdom is insufficient and tainted in sin and without the influence of godly wisdom men descend further into a secular hedonistic life that is about pleasing self and personal happiness no matter how immoral and degrading it may become. Society cannot survive very long under increasingly degrading conditions.
Wisdom from God
What we are experiencing today is a rapid descent into that darkness. The gospel of John symbolizes darkness as sin, evil and the devil’s domain. While unregenerate man loves darkness since doing evil is enjoyable, the good news is that there exist another side to this (v.20). Some are advocates of the gospel and follow it and are not afraid to have their deeds examined and approved by God (v. 21). It is a foolish premise to think that the current siege of corruption can lead to a strong sustainable existence in this life and the life to come without taking hold and being practitioners of God’s Wisdom. As far as our government and our nation’s people are concerned, the way back and the only wise thing to do are to trust Christ and repent of our sins. Only then can God bless our people. Believers everywhere must be in prayer for our country since we are to be the light for others that is so desperately needed in our day.